To educate and to foster the growth of each student: mind, body, and spirit.
St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Schools, united in Christ and guided by the spirit and educational values of St. Vincent, transform each student through the power of faith and knowledge.
Vincentian Educational Values
A Vincentian Education is -
Excellent - places quality at the center of educational activities.
Holistic - educates the heart, spirit, and mind.
Integrated - blends the abstract with the practical.
Creative and Flexible - seeks to meet the needs of a diverse student population.
Collaborative - engages in cooperative endeavors with parents, students, administration, faculty, and staff.
Focused - strives to model St. Vincent de Paul and his mission of service to the poor.
The History of St. Vincent de Paul Schools
Over one hundred years ago, the dream of offering a Catholic higher education to the children of Perryville became a reality when the Daughters of Charity arrived in 1907. It all began in the 19th century when a small group of Catholics who settled in Perry County wanted to establish a church and a rectory here and sent representatives to St. Louis to see Bishop DuBourg. He agreed to visit them and arrange for a church and a parish priest. Fr. Joseph Rosati, C.M., from Bardstown, was sent to supervise the building of a mission. The church and rectory were blessed by Fr. Rosati in 1820.
In 1827 the cornerston of the Church of the Assumption was laid. October 29, 1837, marked its consecration by Bishop Rosati, C.M. On the same grounds was St. Mary of the Barrens Seminary Where young men prepared to become Vincentian priest of the Congregation of the Mission.
The German Catholics of Perryville erected St. Boniface Church in 1866. It was first staffed by priests from St. Mary's Seminary, but in 1869 Fr. Henry Groll, a diocesan priest, was appointed its first pastor. In 1870 a parochial school was established under the direction of the Sisters of the Precious Blood. The Ursuline Sisters replaced them in 1877. In 1947 the Ursuline Sisters withdrew from the parish, St. Boniface was placed under the direction of the Daughters of Charity, and the church was given back to the Vincentian fathers.
The St. Vincent Parish School was opened in 1896 with an enrollment of 33 pupils. The old school building was a large frame structure located on a lot between School and Ste. Maries Streets. At first lay teachers staffed the school, but the Daughters of Charity assumed charge in the autumn of 1907. St. Vincent High School was begun that same year. It started as a two-year school and in 1917 saw its first four-year graduation class. In 1917 a larger school was built and opened with an enrollment of 332 grade and high school students and a faculty of 10 Sisters. Our present high school building was dedicated in August 1953 by Cardinal Joseph Ritter. Many renovations and improvements have taken place over the years. Some of which include: air conditioning, renovation of the library, new flooring, ceiling, lights, fire alarm system and state of the art technology. From the first graduates in 1909 to the present, St. Vincent High School has fostered Catholic education in the Perryville community.